Whether you explore the wilderness in summer or witness the snowy wonderland in winter, Victoria’s alpine country is breathtaking year-round. The charming village of Dinner Plain is the perfect place for families to escape the busyness of life. Nestled among snow gums, Club Wyndham Dinner Plain is five minutes from Mt Hotham’s renowned ski runs and offers activities for a perfect weeklong holiday.
For travellers visiting during the cold months(late June to September), here are some activities you can do with the entire family!
- Snow play: The peak of winter offers a perfect snow-covered playground right at your doorstep! Nothing beats the timeless family fun of building a snowman or engaging in friendly snowball fights with your kids. Dinner Plain offers many locations for these activities, including your club resort.
- Hit the slopes: With its proximity to the Mt Hotham ski resort, Dinner Plain is the perfect place for families who love skiing or snowboarding. Whether you’re a beginner or an expert, there are runs to suit every skill level. And there are other winter activities to try, like snowshoeing and tobogganing.
- Experience the thrill of dog sledding. Join Howling Husky Sled Dog Tours and their team of Siberian Huskies for an unforgettable adventure across the snow. See stunning views as you explore the unique Australian alpine environment. After your dog sled ride, get up close with the huskies and snap some photos to capture the moment.
- Get cosy in your apartment. Sometimes the best family holidays are the ones where you can just relax and enjoy each other’s company. You can cook dinner for the family in your chalet’s fully equipped kitchen, play board games, drink hot chocolate by the fire, or simply enjoy the stunning scenery. The resort also offers excellent coffee and dining at Elements Restaurant or enjoy a drink at the fireside lounge bar. The outdoor heated spa also offers a haven of relaxation.
If you’re travelling during the warmer months (October to June), there is a wide array of activities to keep the family entertained.
- Mountain biking. Your club resort provides easy access to incredible mountain bike trails surrounded by the stunning scenery of the Alpine National Park. Some tracks cater to beginners and advanced bikers. Remember to stay hydrated and let someone know where you’re headed. You may also use the resort’s mountain bikes for free.
- Hike or walk with nature. Dinner Plain and Mt Hotham offer a range of hiking and walking trails that take you through the picturesque Alpine National Park. The best time to hit the trails is between early November and late April, with summer offering ideal weather conditions and a chance to see the alpine wildflowers in full bloom. If travelling with children, you can opt for shorter walking trails like The Village Loop, Montane Walking Track, and JB Plain Walk. For those seeking a challenge, consider hiking to the majestic Carmichael Falls or taking on The Huts Walk (to see historic drivers huts) and The Razorback Track.
- Play a round of Disc Golf. Dinner Plain is home to the highest Disc Golf course in Australia. Like traditional golf, Disc Golf (also known as Frisbee Golf) comprises nine tee-offs and nine baskets, making it a popular year-round activity for visitors. The objective is to aim for the basket with the least shots. Best of all, it’s completely free!
- Barbecues and picnics. With Dinner Plain’s beautiful mountain views and crisp, fresh air, your family will have an idyllic setting for an outdoor feast. There’s nothing quite like the sizzle of a juicy steak or the aroma of sausages cooking over an open flame, enjoyed with a cold beer or glass of wine. You may use the resort’s BBQ area or find your own spot for a picnic. BBQ facilities can be found at DP Hut and Scrubbers End. The area has several picnic sites, including JB Plain, Champagne Point, and Stonehenge.
Dinner Plain is a must-visit destination for anyone seeking adventures on the slopes, a peaceful retreat, or a family-friendly getaway. So, gather your loved ones and get ready to have an adventure of a lifetime!
Check out Club Wyndham Dinner Plain and watch Top 5 Must Do – Dinner Plain Mt Hotham video on Club Wyndham TV.