The Ghan Kakadu Splendour – Adelaide to Darwin
7 Day Luxury Rail Holiday Package
From AU$3,109* per person, twin share
The rail journey from Adelaide to Darwin features incredible landscapes and Off Train Excursions along the way. For an even deeper connection with nature, our Kakadu Splendour itinerary takes you to the heart of this World Heritage wonderland.
|Prices are From Per Person, Twin Share|
|Departure Month||Platinum Twin||Gold Twin||Gold Single|
|November 2020||AU$5,059*||AU$3,469*||Sold Out|
|December 2020||AU$5,059*||AU$3,469*||Sold Out|
|Bookings subject to availability. Valid for sale until 31 August 2021, Unless Sold Out Prior.|
- View the 19 aircraft on display at the Darwin Aviation Museum
- See the largest permanent display of Aboriginal artwork
- Stroll the George Brown Botanic Gardens
- Visit Warradjan Aboriginal Cultural Centre
- Cruise Yellow Water Billabong in search of saltwater crocodiles
- Discover the beauty of Nourlangie and Ubirr
- Go ashore in Arnhem Land
- 3 days/2 nights aboard The Ghan, Adelaide to Darwin, including all meals, beverages and Off Train Excursions in Marla, Alice Springs and Katherine
- Transfer from Darwin Rail Terminal to hotel
- 3 nights accommodation in Darwin including breakfast daily
- Half day Darwin City Sights tour
- 2 days/1 night Kakadu and East Alligator River including accommodation and guided touring
- 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 2 dinners
Day 1: Board The Ghan in Adelaide
Step aboard The Ghan in Adelaide for your unforgettable adventure to the Top End. As the train leaves the city heading for the Flinders Ranges and beyond, it’s your chance to settle in to your cabin and watch the changes in landscape from your very own window.
OVERNIGHT: 2 nights The Ghan (L,D)
Day 2: The Ghan, Alice Springs
After your first night enjoying the fine dining and relaxed luxury of this iconic train, you’ll wake to an amazing outback sunrise at Marla – a remote outpost 160 kilometres from the Northern Territory border that marks the start of the Oodnadatta Track. Enjoy more incredible outback scenery before arriving into Alice Springs early in the afternoon to enjoy an Off Train Excursion that reveals more of this historic outback town. (B,L,D)
Day 3: The Ghan, Katherine & Darwin
As you head further north into the tropics, prepare to experience one of the Top End’s most impressive natural wonders near Katherine. The stunning Nitmiluk Gorge lies within the massive 292,000 hectares of Nitmiluk National Park. You’ll have the chance to explore it from the water with a guided cruise – an Off Train Excursion you’ll never forget. A few hours later, you’ll arrive in Darwin for a transfer to your accommodation.
OVERNIGHT: 2 nights DoubleTree by Hilton Esplanade (B,L)
Day 4: Darwin
Take in the top sights of this tropical city on a morning tour, including the Stokes Hill Wharf area, Botanic Gardens, the Chinese Temple, the Mooring Basin, and Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory plus Darwin Aviation Museum. This afternoon enjoy a stroll around Darwin, discovering its fascinating history at your own pace. The evening is yours to enjoy one of Darwin’s many dining options — you can even choose to enjoy dinner as you sail the harbour on a ‘Charles Darwin’ Sunset Dinner Cruise. (B)
Day 5: Darwin to Kakadu National Park
It’s time to visit one of the world’s most incredible natural environments. As you travel along the Arnhem Highway south-east of Darwin, the anticipation builds. Soon you’ll be in the heart of the world famous Kakadu National Park enjoying a full day of immersive experiences. You’ll cruise the Yellow Water Billabong, search for saltwater crocodiles, see a variety of informative displays depicting the rich Aboriginal history of the area at the Warradjan Cultural Centre, and be guided to ancient rock art galleries at Nourlangie.
OVERNIGHT: Mercure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel (B,L)
Day 6: Kakadu National Park to Darwin
At the World Heritage area Ubirr, your guide will reveal extraordinary art sites of spiritual significance to local Indigenous people dating back more than 20,000 years. On your way to join the Guluyambi Cruise on the East Alligator River, you’ll visit a stunning lookout to take in the majestic vistas of the renowned Kakadu wetlands. Later, with special permission of the traditional owners, enjoy the privilege of going ashore in Arnhem Land. To cap off an enriching day, you’ll visit the Bowali Visitor Centre before returning to Darwin.
*Terms & Conditions:
- Bookings subject to availability.
- Prices are per person twin share, in Australian Dollars.
- Pricing correct as at 29 July 2020 and may fluctuate due to changes in availability, surcharges, fees or taxes.
- Standard Travel Club Terms and Conditions apply.
- This tour is offered and managed by Journey Beyond and their terms and conditions apply.
- Featured rates are Advance Purchase fares, with limited availability, and may not be available on all departures.
- No airfares are included in the featured package, but assistance with booking can be provided.
- Cancellation and change fees apply. Bookings are non-transferable.
- Travel insurance is not included in the package. Please ensure you have valid Travel Insurance, or request a quotation.